With seven SAMAs up for grabs in this years event, here’s a run-down of the process that will decide the shortlist of SAMA 2017!
The following are the criteria an act must meet to be nominated by our judges for one or more of the seven categories at this year’s Scottish Alternative Music Awards (SAMAs) taking place on Thursday 12th October 2017 at The Garage, Glasgow.
- The judges, as a group, must select the 4 shortlisted acts for the award.
- Judges should add two secondary acts on the final list as a back up, so in total submitting 6 but 4 primary nominees.
- Four acts per award are then entered into a short public vote taking place on Monday 2nd October.
- The judges’ decisions must be based solely on the quality of the music from the artists, both recorded and live. They must not take into account objective factors such as commercial sales, chart success, and record label.
1. The act must be from or primarily based in Scotland.
2. The act must be appropriate for your specific selected category:
- Best Acoustic in association with Assai UK
- Best Electronic in association with citizenM
- Best Hip-Hop in association with Boyd Digital
- Best Live Act in association with XPO North
- Best Newcomer in association with Academy of Music & Sound
- Best Metal in association with Cathouse Rockclub Glasgow
- Best Rock/Alternative in association with Eventbrite UK
3. The act must be aged 16 or over.
4. The act must have been formed for at least six months.
5. The act must show evidence of their willingness to tour and gig out with their own town/city/base.
6. The act must have music available to the general public to listen to via physical copies or online music e.g. downloads, streaming, YouTube videos, etc.
7. This music must have been made available within the last two years.
Notes: The SAMAs shortlist should explore innovative, high quality and exciting artists to represent Scotland.
The judges are rotated annually to be fair and relevant towards the year.
Best Live Act
Phoebe Inglis-Holmes Vixen Sound / BBC Introducing
Dougie J Black Carnival 56 Dundee / Ginger Jesus Promotions
David Weaver Synergy Concerts / Detour Scotland
Best Hip Hop
Jonathan Rimmer Scotland Stand Up
Alana Hepburn Kelburn Garden Party / Boomtown Fair
Connor Strachan Wavvy Music
Jonathan Almond Rock N Roll Events
Chris Spencer Artery Global
Harris Douglas HD Music
Holly Calder Freakender
Andy Hannah The Line Of Best Fit
Nicola Meighan BBC Scotland / The Herald
Steve Robertson Belladrum Tartan Hearts / Twenty Ten Events
Nadine Walker Tenement TV
Mike Jonns This Feeling
Claire Francis The Skinny (Clubs Editor)
Maya Medvesek Musician (Nightwave)
Ryan Hamblett Shapes, Stirling
Nicky Carder Beyond Presents
John Anderson 57 Degrees North, Aberdeen
Gill Maxwell Scottish Music Centre
The 2017 nominations will be released on Wednesday 20th September.
The public vote will open on Monday 2nd October and last for ten days.
2017 Winners will be announced at the main event on Thursday 12th October at The Garage, Glasgow. The ceremony will feature live performances from WHITE, Holy Mountain and BooHooHoo plus more to be announced.