The following are the criteria an act must meet to be nominated by our judges for one or more of the seven categories at this year’s Scottish Alternative Music Awards (SAMAs) taking place on Wednesday 12th October 2016 at The Garage, Glasgow.
1. The act must be from or primarily based in Scotland.
2. The act must be appropriate for one or more of the following categories:
- Best Acoustic in association with citizenM Hotels Glasgow
- Best Electronic in association with Assai UK
- Best Hip-Hop in association with 1000fans
- Best Live Act in association with XpoNorth
- Best Newcomer in association with Academy of Music & Sound
- Best Metal in association with Cathouse Rockclub Glasgow
- Best Rock/Alternative in association with Eventbrite UK.
3. The act must be aged 16 or over.
4. The act must have been formed for at least six months.
5. The act must show evidence of their willingness to tour and gig out with their own town/city/base.
6. The act must have music available to the general public to listen to via physical copies or online music e.g. downloads, streaming, YouTube videos, etc.
7. This music must have been made available within the last year from August 2015 to August 2016.
The judges for this year’s awards are as follows, per award:
Award | Name of Judge | Region | Gender | Company
Nicky Carder | North | F | Beyond Presents
Jaye Brown | West | F | Sofar Sounds
Steven Milne | North | M | The Lemon Tree
Claire Francis | East | F | The Skinny
Colin Brownbill | West | M | Synth Glasgow
Steev Livingstone | South | M | Musician (ERRORS)
Jonathan Rimmer | West | M | Scotland Stand-Up
Dave Hook | East | M | Musician (Stanley Odd)
Connor Strachan | North | M | Wavvy Music
Best Live Act
David Hanvey | South | M | My First Music
Dougie Black | East | M | GJ Promotions
Grainne Braithwaite | West | F | Synergy Concerts
Jonathon Almond | West | M | Rock N Roll Events
Chris Spencer | North | M | Daily Dischord
Duncan Gray | West | M | Triple G
Yvonne McLellan | South | F | Native Publishing
Tom Johnson | West | M | Gold Flake Paint
Nicola Meighan | East | F | Music Journalist
Steve Robertson | North | M | Belladrum
James Bruce | East | M | PCL Presents
Nadine Walker | West | F | Tenement TV
- The judges, as a group, must select four acts for their appointed award.
- Judges must have secondary choices prepared if they can’t decide on one primary choice.
- Four acts per award are then entered into the public vote. Leaving us with 4 nominees in each of the 7 categories, totalling 28 acts.
- The judges’ decisions must be based solely on the quality of the music from the artists, both recorded and live. They must not take into account objective factors such as commercial sales, chart success, and record label.
We will host a unique public vote (limited to 1 per IP address) for 10 days to decide the winners of each SAMA from our 7 award, 28-act strong shortlist. The winners will then be announced at the main event on Wednesday 12th October at The Garage, Glasgow.
Tickets available now from Eventbrite.